Saturday, April 26, 2008

How to Have a Good Argument

from wikiHow

The "Are not" "Am too" "Are not" "Am too" is a type of argument that no one wants go get into. Here's how to state your views while being collected and reasonable.

Steps

  1. Don't lose your temper; stay calm.
  2. Express that you are willing to listen to the other person and respect them.
  3. Be reasonable, state your reasons with examples from before (if you're arguing about who should do what, or what someone is like etc.).

Tips

  • Don't let it last too long, the argument degrades if it's held out.
  • Don't swear, this lets the other person know you are going to be unreasonable.
  • Keep your voice at a normal volume, and insist that the other person does the same. If they become too loud, say something like, "Please speak to me in a lower volume...we can't continue this discussion if you keep yelling at me."
  • Allow each person to speak and make their point. If you are interrupted, you can say "Excuse me...you had your chance to speak and I listened to you. I'm asking that you show me the same courtesy." Or "You asked me a question, and I'm trying to answer it but you keep interrupting me."
  • Set healthy boundaries. If the person with whom you are arguing is angry, obnoxious or verbally abusive, should you really be interacting with them? It may be better to walk away.
  • If the argument is with a clerk, salesperson, etc. ask to speak with their supervisor. If a supervisor isn't immediately available, get a phone number.

Warnings

  • Don't argue with people who are angry enough to hurt you.

No comments: